Tuesday 15 November 2011

Dreaming my job

Just now I realised that I have been at my current job for 3 months! This is noteworthy because it actually feels like I've been here forever.


Bit of background on the job situation: since leaving school, I have had various drudge-like positions doing admin for companies in a variety of fields. My favourite jobs (prior to this one) were the weekend job that I had at Culpeper The Herbalist in Cambridge (what an awesome shop - so sad that they closed) and at a christian bookstore in Kempton Park. The bookstore job was only good in the beginning though: eventually being on my feet for eight and a half hours a day, six days a week got old fast. The Culpeper job was great, but it was weekends only, and I was still a drone the other 5 days of the week (yes, I was working 7 days a week. I was much younger then, and had things like energy).


This was what I used to be...
Anyway, in 2007 I moved to Natal and went into business with my sister, which was fun at first but rapidly became too much like hard work for no reward. When we closed, I tried a couple of other things, and, working on the (mistaken) belief that it was the retail aspect that I enjoyed of the aforementioned jobs, I took a job working for an interior design shop. Basically, I sold furniture for little or no money.


And then I (ok, my sister) found this job. It is literally my ideal workplace. It is:
* in publishing
* 15 minutes WALK from my house
* well(ish) paid (by KZN standards)
* low pressure
* interesting


I get to apply my graphic design knowledge and my anal approach to spelling and punctuation. Plus I get internet access!

No comments:

Post a Comment