Wednesday 16 November 2011

The Great Indoors

I'm still not certain about whether I want a relationship or not. But, despite my indecision, I am once again attempting the internet dating thing. I have been down this road before, but with little success due largely, I believe, to my deep-seated cynicism and skepticism towards the whole thing. Nonetheless, I have signed up (or been signed up - thanks sis!) on a site and have been dutifully studying the various profiles.

I have noticed a couple of things. First off, there seem to be many single guys in my town. Who'd a thunk? I know that I have only ever come across married fathers.

Pretty, but just think: bugs, dirt, heat, and no internet
The other thing I saw was that almost every single guy out there is looking for a girl who enjoys "the great outdoors", which makes me think that there aren't a lot of girls like that out there. I had an ambition to be a game ranger when I was about twelve though - does that qualify me? I don't think so, because while I have been known to hike and enjoy it; went paddle-skiing in my dim and distant past and wouldn't mind going again; count an outride on a semi-private game reserve in the Northern Province as one of the highlights of my life; even went camping once, although since that was at a music festival and there were about a bazillion other people I don't think it counts; I'm going to take this opportunity to lie back on my couch, put on a DVD, and admit to being a homebody. I don't even garden.

Look at me. Now look at your couch. Back to me. I'm the couch your couch could be.

This doesn't mean that I would stop my partner from pursuing any and all the outdoor activities his heart desires, especially if he's willing to mow the lawn, just so long as he doesn't stop me from pursuing my indoor ones. I'd like to have someone to share my love of sci-fi movies with, who will happily play "degrees of Kevin Bacon" with me and can discuss the cricket score or latest bestseller with equal ease, but I don't expect him to be with me all the time.In fact, I'd prefer it if he wasn't. I've kinda gotten used to having my own space.

No comments:

Post a Comment