Friday 30 September 2011

Paul

As I’ve mentioned, I watch A LOT of movies (note the spelling of “a lot” – for a laugh see this blog about alternatives). Most of the movies I watch are science fiction / fantasy / action, with the occasional chick flick thrown in to prove that I am, in fact, a girl.

I recently watched saw Paul, a brilliant movie by two of my all-time favourite actor/writers, Simon Pegg and Nick Frost. (If you’ve never seen Spaced, Shaun of the Dead or Hot Fuzz, you haven’t lived!).

*PLOT SPOILER WARNING!!!!!*

Paul contains a number of both subtle and overt references to classic sci-fi films such as ET, Close Encounters of the Third Kind, Star Trek, and, of course, numerous Star Wars mentions. In one scene, cool-ass Fed Jason Bateman (so awesome!) shoots his radio in the middle of reporting to his superior (played in awesome cast-typing-ness by Sigourney Weaver), and comments:  “It was a boring conversation anyway”. Now for a confession: It took me more than a day to figure out where that line came from. I knew it was a quote from somewhere, but I kept trying to associate it with either Shaun of the Dead or Hot Fuzz. As a lifelong, committed Star Wars fan, I was quite embarrassed to realise that the line comes from “A New Hope”, from the scene where Han and Luke are rescuing Leia from the Death Star. Luckily for my ego, I did manage to place it myself, without resorting to searching for it online, but still.


Perhaps it’s time for another Star Wars marathon?

No comments:

Post a Comment