Tuesday 4 October 2011

Kick back and detox

It’s that time of year again, when I look at my clothes and realise that the time has come to either replace my entire wardrobe or lose the flab that I managed to collect over the winter.

The final straw was the jeans that I bought on the weekend. I have only two pairs of trousers that I can actually wear in public, and only one pair of jeans, which is actually on the way out. And, while I’m on the subject, what is with the stretch? Why don’t any retailers stock non-stretch jeans? Thanks to my grasshopper shape, finding pants to fit me is anyway a mission, and having to contend with stretch denim is just making an already difficult task a terrifying proposition. I have a small waist (compared to my hips) and really long legs, so any trousers that fit the length of my legs are guaranteed to make my waist look like I’m pregnant. Hipster jeans are a good option, but hipster stretch jeans invariable cause an extremely unfortunate plumber situation.
Anyway, the point is, I struggle to find pants that fit. In desperation, I bought a pair of jeans in the size that I thought I was (and it’s not exactly a small size, either) and then I had to go back and exchange the blasted things for a larger size the next day. AND, the larger size is still slightly too tight around the thigh area, which is frankly embarrassing.

So I’m over it. I’m taking myself in hand and getting in shape. While I have heard the saying that round IS a shape, it’s not the shape I want to be. So I have decided to kick of the health kick with kickboxing (or at least Tae Bo on DVD), Pilates and a pretty intense week-long detox program. I’m proud to report that, having started yesterday, I have so far managed to stick to the eating plan, but the exercise plan has yet to come to fruition. Yesterday I woke up with a killer headache (probably psycho-somatic because my body knew I was starting the diet) that only went away after two headache pills and a nap with Jack at lunchtime. (I love working so close to home!) This morning I was just lazy, and more interested in reading my book than working out, which is more or less the story of my life.

I might have to do the workouts in the evening rather than the morning – I don’t really do anything at night other than watching too much television anyway, so I can exchange a bad habit for a good one, and still linger in bed in the mornings.

Sounds like a plan to me.

1 comment:

  1. You might enjoy this post: http://www.look-fabulous.com/body-shapes/pear-shaped-women.html.

    I learned so much at the Makeover Magic morning at Green With Envy yesterday - like how to dress for my Pear Shape. It was awesome. You must TOTALLY come with me to the next one.

    ReplyDelete