Friday 7 October 2011

Solution to the jeans problem

So I have come up with a solution to the “plumber problem” that I mentioned the other day. I was wearing the infamous jeans today and, needless to say, the top and my jeans kept parting ways, and I had to keep adjusting in order to display as little of my flesh as possible to the outside world. (Trust me; the outside world owes me one). This is not easy to do when toting a handbag, a plastic bag filled with library books, car keys, and sunglasses. So have decided to give in. To go with the flow. To accept the inevitable. I am going to get a tattoo at the base of my spine, just like every twinkie over twelve, so that at least there is something to see.

Hark at me bemoaning my fate. This is in fact something that I have been planning to do ever since I got my second tattoo, which I planned ever since getting my first tattoo. This is the tattoo that I want to get done:
The second tattoo that I got is also a dragon. It sits on my right shoulder, being all cute and stuff.

And this is the one that started it all:
There is quite a story behind the Tolkien logo one. (If you didn’t recognise it, I’m sad for you.) A friend and I had become HUGE fans of the Boondocks Saints. For those of you who don’t know the movie, Sean Patrick Flanery and Norman Reedus play Boston Irish brothers, and they have a number of matching tattoos. In a frenzy of camaraderie and fanaticism, my friend and I decided that we would also get matching tattoos, and decided to go with Tolkien as being something that we were both passionate about. Unfortunately, we decided that the middle of the back is a good place for a tattoo. Word of advice: DON’T DO IT! Having a tattoo on one’s spine is NOT a pleasant process. But we both went through with it, and celebrated with some 12-year-old Jameson’s. Good times.

I actually have plans for two more tattoos after the one at the base of my spine. I want to balance out the dragon on my shoulder with some awesome Celtic symbology on my left shoulder, and I want a runic tattoo around one or both of my ankles. There’s a stunning poem from one of Stephen Lawhead’s books that goes:

Grant me now, Gifting Giver, three things I seek.
Knowledge of the thing I do not know
Wisdom to understand it
Truth to discern it rightly

I like that sentiment, so I’m going to transcribe it into either Tengwar or Angerthas script and have it wrapped around my ankles. On a slightly unrelated tangent: don’t you just love the variety of fonts available today? I’m definitely leaning more towards the Angerthas script, which will end up looking like this:
Cool, huh?

No comments:

Post a Comment