Monday 24 October 2011

Patriotism

I've never thought of myself as particularly patriotic. I doubt that I'd ever take up arms for my country. But there are a few Sowf Effricen things that I am especially appreciative of. As you've probably gathered by now, I'm quite supportive of our sports teams, at least the Boks and the Proteas. But I have felt for ages that there is one arena in which South Africa shines which is often overlooked. Our country has produced some truly extraordinary musicians.

Some of our rock artists have managed to make a name for themselves overseas, such as Seether, but quite a few of the most stellar examples are still wrapped in the distressing anonymity of "local audiences only".


Bands like Prime Circle, Boo! and Freshlyground (pictured left) should be as big globally as, like, the Beatles. There are so many fantastic groups out there - Just Jinger, Wonderboom, Jo Day, Springbok Nude Girls, the list goes on and on and on. Anyone who's ever had the privilege and pleasure of attending a Woodstock festival will appreciate how many excellent artists there are in our country.

And, of course, who could forget the inimitable Jack Parow, or Die Antwoord?

There is so much talent that the world needs to hear. Just a sample from Perez (alas! no longer with us):

No comments:

Post a Comment