Friday 28 October 2011

Raindrops on kittens and whiskers on roses

My favourite blogger has posted again after an absence of about 5 months. Thanks, Allie, for an awesome, amazing, honest blog!

Her new post is about depression, which sucks. And blows. At the same time. I was going to write a whole essay on why I’m depressed about being single and invisible, blah blah blah, but after reading Allie’s post, it just feels too shallow (especially after reading some of the 2000+ comments of people saying how they’ve been depressed, too). So, instead of writing about my silly and unimportant life, I thought I would mention a few things that make me really happy.

I love the mist. It makes me happy. Especially if I can stay indoors with hot chocolate / red wine / chocolate / books / fireplace / all of the above. Even if I can’t stay in, I love the feeling of living in a medieval forest: everything is mysterious and magical and full of possibility.
I love my job. I am extremely blessed to be doing a job that I enjoy and am good at and encompasses all my passions and talents. Of course, I could deal with getting more money, but since I m ALSO given lots of bandwidth and leeway, I think I’m coming out ahead.

I love my family. My nieces are the most incredible people ever, and whenever I visit them I am inundated with “Shell-Shell”’s and hugs and gifts. It’s too cute. And of course, their pearls of extreme wisdom and hilarity are tip-top.

I love my home. It’s not usually spotless, or well organised, or perfectly decorated; but it’s mine and it doesn't have to be spotless or organised or magazine worthy.

I love my cat. I love the way that he greets me when I come home and fights me for my yoghurt and occasionally my beetroot (I kid you not). I love the way that if I ever sit for more than 5 minutes at a time he sits with me, and always sleeps at the foot of the bed and snuggles me when it’s chilly.

I love that I’m not a stereotypical girl; that I buy the “Top Gear” magazine instead of Cosmo, that my favourite movie genre is action/sci-fi and that I will give up a spa day to watch a cricket match. But I also love that I am a girl who reads Nora Roberts from time to time (in between Lee Child and Terry Pratchett) and has almost waist-length hair and many high heels.

Suddenly, there are so many things that I could mention that make me happy and keep me going that mentioning all of them would be tedious to everyone else.

So, for those who are depressed, and especially for Allie, I made a sun:
Hope you feel better soon.

1 comment: